popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Nineteen Minutes - Jodi Picoult This was my first Jodi Picoult book. It took me a little while to get into the rhythm of the story-telling, but then I really enjoyed it. The effects of a murder on the family and friends of the killer is a topic that has interested me before and one that I don't think is covered in fiction that often. Picoult does a good job keeping up with her large set of characters and I like that the story unfolds not just like a drama, but like a mystery too. By the end, I was so sympathetic with all of the characters that I wasn't sure what I wanted the outcome of the trial to be. There's an interesting twist at the end that I had anticipated at the beginning of the novel; I don't think that's because the novel is predictable, but rather that I have a good imagination. The book made me wonder if people were that mean at my high school and I found that, like the defense said, I, as with most people, can't really remember high school. The things that come to mind, though, are mostly good memories, thank God.
I was also interested to learn at the end of the book that Picoult has written about some of these characters before; I love it when authors share characters across stories, and that (as well as liking this novel) makes me want to read more of her work.