popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend - Emily Horner This book sounded like it would be good, but mostly I found it annoying. Cass, the main character, is preachy and whiny, and for a book about grief, I wasn't really feeling it until almost the end, when Cass visits Julia's (the dead best friend) grave. I thought the back and forth between her bike road trip and the play preparations took away from the story; if it had been linear, I think we could have got a sense of Cass's growth, instead of having it come all at once at the end. And the whole concept of the bike road trip was ridiculous; I can suspend my disbelief a LOT, but not for a second do I think that intelligent, involved parents would allow their sixteen year old girl to bicycle across the United States. I've driven that route, and even in a car you go long stretches without seeing other traffic or passing through towns. It would be foolish and dangerous, and Cass's relatively safe, hassle-free journey was driving me so crazy I was relieved when her bike got stolen. Another peeve of mine was when posters for Julia's play "Totally Sweet Ninja Death Squad" got so many complaints from concerned parents that the school banned the play. Really? I could actually hear the aggrieved librarian in the author come out when she wrote that plot point. I'm sure any community would understand and support what the kids were doing since they were, you know, putting on the play written by their dead best friend.