popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

When She Woke - Hillary Jordan I had a hard time with the believablity of this book. The "not so distant" future set up felt bizarre and it wasn't clear how much chroming and other laws were part of state governments versus the federal government. The author made it in a United States where the government had changed little enough that chroming was a constitutional issue but didn't give any sense how such a clearly unconstitional act would be ruled constitional. Because there was an economic depression? But the survellience and chroming etc. don't seem like a cheaper alternative. What's generally frightening about a dystopic novel is how you could see it happening, how something could sound like a good idea before you discover how much it impinges on your liberties. I couldn't see this here at all, not in the way it was set up. Also, the chroming and abortion issues became really separate around the middle, about where Simon says chroming is good, but not chroming of women. Wha? Other parts were explained too heavy-handledly. Hannah's growing recognition of gender inequality read like feminism 101, which would have been more believable if she were 15 rather than 25. We don't ever know Hannah as a sheltered and evangelical girl, we are just told over and over again that she was, so many of her insights sound strange, either too naive or too sudden. Finally, I hated Aidan. I hated the email or whatever he sent that she read at the library. At the time I thought, oh so this guy's a jerk and part of Hannah's journey will be realizing how he took advantage of her and her adolescent-like innocence, a kind of statutory rape, but - spoiler alert - she doesn't.