popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Little Women and Me - Lauren Baratz-Logsted This book is pretty terrible. It takes Little Women chapter by chapter and cheapens it. While any reader who will pick this book up is mostly likely a fan of Little Women (I myself have read it probably about a dozen times), the author - and the main character - seem both to disdain it and never have really read it. The most glaring error, to me, is the description of Marmee giving the girls copies of "Pilgrim's Progress" for the first Christmas that they then read religiously every day, while - though never mentioned explicitly in the novel - it is clear to any re-reader that the book she gave them was the Bible. And the contrivance that Emily couldn't remember ANYTHING about the book she was in, that she supposedly loved, including things every one knows - even people who've only seen the movie (or never have!) - that Amy burns Jo's manuscript, that Beth gets sick but dies later, that Meg marries Mr. Brooke... come on! I have always found that Little Women gets richer as I get older, there is so much there that I didn't get when I read it when I was a kid - I kind of thought this would be the kind of thing Emily learns through her experience (not that Meg is stuffy, Jo annoying, Amy selfish, and everyone else so prim and boring and stupid that she can't stand it), including that Amy grows up and really is better with Laurie than Jo would ever have been, because partnership is more complex than who played together most when they were children. Anyhow, she never actually does try to change anything - how could she, when she can't remember anything about the book?