popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi Okay. I was totally digging this book in the beginning, when we're figuring out what's wrong with Juliette, and who that boy is. I even thought the cross-outs were a unique and interesting way to get into her broken mind. But then she got out of her cell and it all kind of went downhill from there. I had multiple problems with this book. These include: convenience/lack of suspense of Adam and whats-his-name being immune to her touch, the complete lack of explanation as to WHY and HOW the world is falling into apocalypsia (but at the end, that one guy is like, actually it's not that bad. The second book will be a dystopia, maybe, instead), the relationship bit where Juliette and Adam are worried about calling each other boyfriend/girlfriend after they've already proclaimed their love for one another, ran away together (risking their lives), and almost did it (multiple times). Also, the "relationship" bit where Juliette is fooling around with the evil rapisty guy - and liking it! - while trying to steal his gun (is he going to be a romantic interest? GROSS!), the parts where Juliette conveniently gets super strength but never really thinks about or tries to use it afterward, and the part at the end where Rogue arrives at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. At the end I was like, "how did this book get here from the beginning?" and "is that Reed Richards? Sue Storm?" I bet: Adam and the evil guy are related in some way and have the same power - and you know they're going to have powers. Juliette's killing-people power isn't REALLY a killing power, once she learns to control it. And maybe Adam can throw a mean card. This book should be called, "Shatter Me: or, when my YA novel fell into the Marvel universe." Although, if that is actually what ends up happening in this series I may have to reconsider my rating, because that would be awesome.
P.S. I did get tired of the metaphors by the last quarter of the book. My heart is a refrigerator with the cooling unit busted and my milk is curdling everywhere for him. Stuff like that.