popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey So this was the last of this years Printz winners/honors for me to read, and I think it's my favorite. As far as literary quality while also being an actual YA book (I don't know why I'm still so bothered about Where Things Come Back winning), it's the best. Like the jacket flap suggested, it did remind me of To Kill a Mockingbird, and in a good way. Even Charlie's repeated WWAFD (that's What Would Atticus Finch Do?) questioning doesn't make it too much.
I also liked how Australian this book was. Normally, when I'm reading a book that takes place in Australia I can forget for the most part that it takes place there. I suspect that's because American publishers Americanize the language, but I'm not sure if that's true. In any case, the language, geography, and sports in Jasper Jones create a really specific setting and I loved it. Plus, I had to stop reading about half way through and look up the game play of cricket. I think I get it now.
Similarly, I liked how this book was set in the 60s, and clearly so, without it being all, "HEY GUYS, I'M A BOOK THAT'S SET IN THE 60'S!" It felt really natural.
I'm having a hard time deciding between four and five stars here. But it will get four for now.