popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Go Figure - Jo Edwards Ryan has a lot of things going on. Her ex-boyfriend just made the cover of Rolling Stone and is all most people can talk to her about. Her family (brother, mom, grandfather) are a bit of an embarrassment. Her sperm donor father is a mystery to her. Her best friend is in California and seems to have cut her out of her life. She just got a great opportunity to be in a special weekend photography class taught by one of her heroes (and the boy next door is in the class, too). She's overwhelmed with college decisions. She's struggling with depression and anxiety and is in therapy and on drugs she's not quite comfortable with. And overwhelmingly through all of this, she's fat. For Ryan, her weight is the core of all her problems, and this book is about her realizing that it doesn't have to be.
I found Ryan to be a really sympathetic character, though others may find her whiny, and I thought her fixation on her weight was realistic and relatable. The ending was sweet and easy, but I didn't get the sense that it was completely "happily ever after" either or that her insecurities had just vanished overnight.