popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Every You, Every Me - Jonathan Farmer, David Levithan I appreciate David Levithan's creativity and his experimentation with different narrative forms, and I won't stop reading them, though they often don't work for me. (The Lover's Dictionary was like this too). This book was haunting and creepy - Evan, the photographs, and the mystery were all these things. Where are these pictures coming from? Is Ariel dead or... what? What happened to her? Is Evan going crazy? I thought the strike outs were definitely pointing to Evan's descent into madness, but I guess not. When his friends said he was the one who submitted the photography to the journal, it started coming together and I thought this would turn out to be some kind of psychological thriller, but then it turned out be some girl who was his best friend's secret best friend. And then Evan was fine and wrote Ariel a letter?I give this book three stars because it's thought-provoking, though I found it hard to get into. I liked exploring the concept that people can only know one side of you, though I don't really believe it. It's interesting from Evan's point of view, with his fixation on binary code and how he seems to relate it to Ariel's (I assume) manic depressive disorder. I kind of wanted a little bit more out of this book at the end, though.