popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Ask the Passengers - A.S. King Kind of a disappointment after Everybody Sees the Ants. I felt like most of the characters were very one-dimensional, and it lacked the layers of plot and meaning that Ants has, and that an award winner should have (which is probably why this will win an award when Ants was snubbed). I really liked Frank Socrates, and the Socrates assignment that Astrid does for her high school humanities class sounds awesome. I liked the scenes in the gay bar, especially the ones with the biker lady Astrid meets, who is alive and fun. I really didn't feel Astrid's supposed love for Dee, and thought her calling her out for being so pushy was going to amount to something more. While I loved that Astrid kept insisting that no one put in her a box and fix her with a label, she disappointed me for caving into it because it's easier to label yourself for other people than to maintain that you are just yourself without them. While reading, I also kept thinking that the small-town stuff seemed too exaggerated. I grew up in a small town where there were probably tons of homophobes, but the kind of stuff that happened to Astrid just wouldn't have happened in my high school. I feel like the bullying in real life is so much more subtle and it digs at the victim so much more than the over-the-top stuff that Astrid manages to just shrug off. So while I liked Ask the Passengers, it wasn't as fantastic as everyone kept saying.