popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Days of Blood & Starlight - Laini Taylor This book took me forever to finish. It wasn't unputdownable or engrossing, but it was good. It was as dark and violent a follow up to DoSaB as there could have been, and a really painful story of a war with no purpose. Maybe that's why it was hard for me to get through. Karou, mad at Akiva, does what she was mad at him for doing and falls into continuing a war whose only goal is death. Akiva is sad and wants to take it all back. Other characters are introduced and killed off... it is bloody and gross and really violent - everyone caught up in their own pain that no one is really interested in what started it all. And I think maybe the series is getting there, but there is no story so far in what started it all, except that once an angel wanted to enslave and kill all the chimera and the other angels thought it was a good idea...?
I guess I think that for all the length and detail in this book, it doesn't provide a good enough back story for me. But I guess that's how the Romeo and Juliet story goes. Plus, I found Zuzana in this installment totally annoying. I hate how she treats Eretz like some artsy performance piece when she should be terrified. Anyway. Three stars.