popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Enclave - Ann Aguirre A few years ago I had a conversation with a friend at a potluck about what you first associate with the word "deuce." He said that it was to show two - like two fingers/the peace sign. I said that it was poop. We took a poll. Poop won. So can I take a character seriously when her name is basically poop? No. Luckily, for Aguirre, who chose basically the worst name for a lead female character ever, she isn't actually called by name very much in the book, and we can go long stretches of the novel forgetting that her name is Deuce at all.

I liked Enclave because it was entertaining and I liked the relationship between Deuce and Fade, particularly as they're getting to know each other in the beginning.

After Deuce and Fade emerge into the wide world above ground and meet new people, I liked the novel a little bit less. It felt like maybe the author was trying too hard to create a love triangle; and the one she ended up creating is gross and disturbing. Deuce and Fade meet up with a girl who'd been raped and abused by a group of boys and then later, despite this girl's experiences, also allow the leader of this group of rapists to join their small gang. Later, he and Deuce become, like, BFFs.

I have been sensing a trend of pulling rapists or attempted-rapists into love triangles (see Shatter Me) and I don't... I can't even really describe how troubling this is. I wonder if the authors even see what they are doing because it doesn't even seem thoughtful or intentional but rather like being a rapist is a flaw like having a temper or stealing candy bars from the convenience store. For thoughtfulness and intentionality in resolving and redeeming (to the extent possible) an attempted rape please see Melina Marchetta's Chronicles of Lumatere.