popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Beautiful Music for Ugly Children - Kirstin Cronn-Mills Beautiful Music for Ugly Children is really well done. There's not a ton of ya trans novels out there, and I liked how this one tackles a first-person, middle class, suburban experience. I appreciated how Gabe is able to find support and acceptance in his hometown, beyond what he ever imagined possible when he daydreamed about escaping to the big city to finally become who he was meant to be (common dream for suburban/small town youth of all genders). At the same time, Gabe's legitimate fears of coming out at home are addressed, and, realistically, a handful of people are cruel and violent towards him and his friends.

The radio aspect of the show was maybe less strong. I don't know. I understand the sentiment that music in our own time isn't good and musicians can be perceived as interchangeable, which is how the book described male singers in country music, but I don't think that people who are really into radio as a career are just into retrospective stuff all the time. The characters' dismissal of Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, and all of contemporary country music showed a kind of weird closed-mindedness for a book that is about "playing your B-side."