popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Faitheist: How An Atheist Found Common Ground With The Religious - Chris Stedman, Eboo Patel I really enjoyed this book, and could relate to it in a lot of ways. I grew up nonreligious and have during my life alternately envied and despised the practice of organized religion. Today I believe a lot of what Chris describes in the ending chapters of his book, but like most nonreligious people I know wouldn't describe myself as atheist.

When I went to college I was culture-shocked by all the earnest Christians, and spend most of my freshman year feeling awkward, excluded, and then sometimes hostile towards this religious majority that I had almost no experience with growing up. Most of my neighborhood and school friends and their families would have described themselves as Christian but, except for some Mormons and Catholics, didn't actually practice and probably also didn't actually believe. Over time, and after the culture shock faded, I became more educated about, tolerant of, and sympathetic toward people's religious beliefs. What's more, I think my experience at my college as a minority in this respect shaped, in a huge way, the moral and political beliefs I hold today. Secular humanism there was not a positive term, though learning about it resonated with me and I wouldn't mind owning that term now. And while I will admit I'm not a Christian, I am undecided - or perhaps not brave enough to admit to it - on atheism.

One of the things I really liked about Chris's book is the dual coming out stories, one as a gay man, and one as an atheist.