popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Gorgeous - Paul Rudnick On Becky Randle's 18th birthday, her mother dies, her final words imploring her to take a chance on magic if she gets it. Later, while going through her mother's things, Becky finds a phone number for reclusive designer Tom Kelly, who subsequently offers to make her three dresses - and transform her into the most beautiful woman in the world.

I had so much fun with this book. The audio production is so well done; I loved Becky and Rocher's country accents and all the run on similes. I sat in my car and listened much, much longer than necessary.

I plan on re-reading this in book form, actually. I related a lot to Becky Randle. I mean, my name is Becky Standal, so...

I loved this part, right at the beginning:
"I was lying and Rocher knew it. I wanted to do so much with my life, but I tried as hard as I could never to think about it. I hadn't been able to talk about my insane ideas with my mom, because I'd never wanted her to feel like she was holding me back or that she should feel guilty because we never had any money. And I couldn't talk about anything with the other kids at school because if I said what I really felt, if I called attention to myself, I'd become a target. And I never really told Rocher about what I was after because I knew that she'd be totally on my side, and that was the scariest thing of all. Here was the truth: In secret, when I wasn't being careful and gutless, I wanted the biggest life I could possibly get, a life far beyond what East Trawley had to offer. I wasn't sure of the details, but I wanted to see the entire world and meet every possible kind of person and dive headfirst into every possible adventure, because once all of that had happened, I'd have turned into whoever I was meant to be."