popsiclesinbed

popsiclesinbed

Code Name Verity - Elizabeth Wein This is the most buzzed about YA book of the year, and it really is fantastic. I was a bit torn between four and five stars, because I wasn't as engaged in it as I could have been. There is so much of the novel that is heavy in details about planes, flying, and etc. that probably isn't very engaging to a lot of readers. But it's all to a purpose, part of which, I think, is to show how much Verity loves Maddie, to have learned so much about what her friend loves. There's not much to say about this book without getting a bit spoilery, but there's a lot to talk about. I hope to choose it as a book club pick by the end of the year, and it will definitely be going on our mock Printz list. From the very start of the second part of the novel I had to keep flipping back to the first part to connect the two. It is well worth a re-read, and I hope to listen to the audiobook soon.

I also think this book would make an excellent movie - and I don't often think that. It reminded me a bit of Atonement (both because of the time period and something else) and I'm thinking in the vein of that movie adaptation, which was both faithful and good.